Search This Blog

Friday, September 16, 2011

Book Review: Star Wars X-Wing: Rogue Squadron by Michael Stackpole

Book Review of Star Wars X-Wing: Rogue Squadron - Michael Stackpole

Other Worlds' Rating: 8 out of 10 stars

This book is about the legendary Star Wars hero Wedge Antilles as he tries to reform Rogue Squadron years after the Battle of Endor. This book is a cross between space opera and military science fiction - it's Star Wars, but it focuses on the military aspect of a starfighter squadron.

This book was good. However, I must admit, it didn't quite live up to my expectations. This series is supposed to be one of the best Star Wars series available; however, I found that there have been other books I've liked better. That said, I felt like Stackpole has done an excellent job in many ways - including making new characters, while keeping some familiar ones, and keeping the general overall feel of Star Wars intact.

I thought one of the books main strengths is that I liked the main character. His motives were real to me, his thought patterns made sense, and he was your average human. I felt that this made him relatable, and led to a more enjoyable book overall. Though this book didn't live up to my expectations, I believe this is more because my expectations had been set too high, and less because of any failure on the part of this book. If you're a Star Wars fan, you should read this, because it's pretty good. However, if not, it may leave you wanting.




No comments:

Post a Comment